birding-aus

Sedentary or resident?

To: Canberra Birds <>, birding-aus posts <>
Subject: Sedentary or resident?
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:31:48 +1000
In the 'movements' section of HANZAB's entry covering the White-fronted
Chat, we are advised that this species has been 'variously described as
resident ... sedentary ... nomadic ... and partly nomadic'. I'm
interested in the first two words in this list.

Their meanings, given by the OED, are:
* sedentary: 'c. Zool. Inhabiting the same region through life; not
migratory'
* resident: 'c. Of animals or birds: Remaining in one place or country
throughout the year; non-migratory'

In ornithology-speak, what's the difference, if any, between sedentary
and resident? If no difference, which is the preferred term?

David

PS posibly a new  word for some people: 'sedent', an adjective meaning
'sitting', as in 1889 BRYDALL Art in Scot. x. 189 'The sedent statue of
the very beautiful and handsome Princess Pauline Borghese'.