birding-aus

Crakes/Rails at Bendigo

Subject: Crakes/Rails at Bendigo
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:22:29 +1100

G'day birders,

Just returned from an hour or so birding at the Bendigo Sewage Farm.  I
re-visited the crake/rail hotspot and my efforts braving the brisk conditions
were well rewarded.

Within just 10 minutes, I saw the Lewin's Rail, two Buff-banded Rails, one
Spotless Crake and two Australian Spotted Crake.  Also present on this swamp
were a pair of Australasian Shoveler, 8 Black-winged Stilt, several Dusky
Moorhen and Purple Swamphen, two Little Grassbirds, 6 Red-rumped Parrots, one
Red-kneed Dotterel and a Swamp Harrier.

Chris Tzaros