birding-aus

Report: birding at Woodlands near Melbourne Airport in Winter

To: "Birding-Aus Mail" <>
Subject: Report: birding at Woodlands near Melbourne Airport in Winter
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:09:01 +1000
Today I ventured out after the showers retreated, and in brisk but sunny
conditions walked around the 'back paddock' at Woodlands Historic Park next
to Melbourne Airport. It was my first visit since December last year, and I
was pleased to find the Red-capped Robins still present.  This pair (and
there are others in the park) are resident, and have been in the same
hectare or so of Grey Box woodland near Gellibrand Hill for at least two
years now - the closest reliable Red-capped Robins to the Melbourne GPO I
think.  The 'back paddock' is fenced and has had predators removed as it was
the site for an experiment with releasing endangered Eastern Barred
Bandicoots (Perameles gunnii).  Today I saw numerous foraging marks and
scats of bandicoots, so they persist there it seems.  I saw kangaroos and
rabbits, but the other mammals were detected by tracks, scats and other
signs.

The list follows:

Australian Wood Duck       Chenonetta jubata
Whistling Kite   Haliastur sphenurus
Brown Goshawk    Accipiter fasciatus
Little Eagle     Hieraaetus morphnoides
Brown Falcon     Falco berigora
Spotted Turtle-Dove        Streptopelia chinensis
Crested Pigeon   Ocyphaps lophotes
Galah  Cacatua roseicapilla
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo   Cacatua galerita
Crimson Rosella  Platycercus elegans
Eastern Rosella  Platycercus eximius
Red-rumped Parrot   Psephotus haematonotus
Laughing Kookaburra   Dacelo novaeguineae
Superb Fairy-wren   Malurus cyaneus
Spotted   PardalotePardalotus punctatus
Weebill   Smicrornis brevirostris
Brown Thornbill   Acanthiza pusilla
Yellow-rumped Thornbill    Acanthiza chrysorrhoa
Yellow Thornbill Acanthiza nana
Striated Thornbill         Acanthiza lineata
Red Wattlebird   Anthochaera carunculata
Yellow-faced Honeyeater    Lichenostomus chrysops
White-plumed Honeyeater    Lichenostomus penicillatus
Brown-headed Honeyeater    Melithreptus brevirostris
Red-capped Robin   Petroica goodenovii
Flame Robin      Petroica phoenicea
Varied Sittella  Daphoenositta chrysoptera
Golden Whistler  Pachycephala pectoralis
Grey Shrike-thrush         Colluricincla harmonica
Grey Fantail     Rhipidura fuliginosa
Willie Wagtail   Rhipidura leucophrys
Australian Magpie   Gymnorhina tibicen
Little Raven     Corvus mellori
Red-browed Finch   Neochmia temporalis
Welcome Swallow   Hirundo neoxena
Silvereye        Zosterops lateralis
Common Blackbird Turdus merula
Common Starling  Sturnus vulgaris
Eastern Barred Bandicoot   Perameles gunnii
Koala   Phascolarctos cinereus
Common Ringtail Possum     Pseudocheirus peregrinus
Common Brushtail Possum    Trichosurus vulpecula
Eastern Grey Kangaroo      Macropus giganteus
Rabbit   Oryctolagus cuniculus
Common Eastern Froglet     Crinia signifera
45 species

L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; BH (03) 9510 5750; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail:  <>
Web page:  http://www.bluep.com/~oco/