birding-aus

Banded Stilts and raptors at Chinamans Swamp, Glenelg Highway, Vic.

To: "" <>
Subject: Banded Stilts and raptors at Chinamans Swamp, Glenelg Highway, Vic.
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 16:32:21 +1000
We paused on the Glenelg Highway en route back to Melbourne on Sunday
afternoon (3 June) to check Chinamans Swamp, some way east of Lake
Bolac. There's ample space on the verge to park, on a little rise
overlooking the swamp, so you can get a good view. The water is shallow
and the few Swans were standing rather than swimming. There were very
large flocks of Grey and Chestnut Teal present, but what was really
notable was similar numbers of Banded Stilts wading everywhere. I
counted 75 in the flock nearest to us, then gave up counting as I
realised that there were hundreds all round the water and scattered all
over it. Many were immature birds without breast-bands.

  I thought I saw a small duck with mudflaps on the bill - presumably a
Pink-Ear - but despite careful searching couldn't pick it up again. It
had been a silhouette against pale water.

  While we were there, a Swamp Harrier made a few passes over the swamp
and a Whistling Kite was calling from a tree over the road. As we
started to drive out, the Teal and Stilts were disturbed by the sudden
arrival of a pair of small falcons - one whizzed along the shore about a
foot up and the other larger falcon kept pace at higher altitude. They
seemed too small and lightly built for Peregrines but were hard to see,
silhouetted against pale backlit water.
Are Aust Hobbies found in the area? - habitat seemed rather open
farmland with not very many trees about.
Anthea Fleming in Ivanhoe