birding-aus

Re: Grey Falcon

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: Grey Falcon
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:22:16 +1000
So here is an interesting concept. All the Grey Falcons (and whatever) out there have this conspiracy to only turn up when they have done a survey to ensure that only the very experienced observers are on site, as a precaution against "beginner's luck". Isn't it a bit silly to imply that there is "beginner's luck" operating. The bird is (or is not) there for its own reasons. Beginners are as likely to see things as anyone else, if they are in the right place and aware. As for knowing how to identify something, well that is another matter. As for the Grey Falcon, I think I have only twice seen one but the circumstances both times were inadequate, once so brief and the other time so distant, I really can't be sure, but neither time what I think I saw matches nothing else better.

Philip