birding-aus

A few observations, terns, SEQ

To: "Birding-aus" <>, "jilldening" <>
Subject: A few observations, terns, SEQ
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:37:53 +1000

Jill Dening wrote.
  1. Small sand plovers love to rest in sand gutters on a rising tide, when they have finished feeding. A bank can appear at first glance to be empty, but scoping can reveal a host of tiny heads scattered singly all over the place. We find this particularly with Red-capped Plovers and Double-banded Plovers at the moment.
I have seen Red-capped Plovers do the same, sheltering from the wind by crouching in human footprints indented in the sand and in 4WD wheel marks. Also Double-banded Plovers doing likewise amongst the flotsam at the high tide mark. I suppose this is also a survival trait, it would help to make them less conspicuous to raptors.

Bruce.