birding-aus

Buxton Silver Gum Reserve

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Buxton Silver Gum Reserve
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 19:34:04 +1000
Hi all,

    Further to Merrilyn Serong's posting on 11th January '01 re the above reserve, we called in there late this afternoon after visiting friends in Buxton.
    Merrilyn will be pleased to know that I saw 2 Bassian Thrush on the track down to the river.
I also thought I saw the tail-end of a Lyrebird, but not 100% sure about that.
   About 15metres from the river there is a clearing on the RH side of the track and it was in the surrounding trees I saw a female Satin Bowerbird hassling Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters. The yellow on the honeyeaters appeared to be a much deeper colour than those I've seen around Heathcote.  Any comments?
  Shortly after the male Satin Bowerbird also presented himself but was not bothered by the honeyeaters. Also here White-naped Honeyeater and White-browed Scrubwrens, Golden Whistler.
   The 500 metre walk to the river is well the detour from the circuit around the main Silver Gums area.
   Overhead Gang Gangs added to the list while Pied & Grey Currawongs were heard.  In the fast disappearing light at the picnic area, Superb Fairy-wrens, Red-browed Firetails, White-throated Treecreeper, Yellow Robin & Kookaburra. It was now virtually impossible to see anything.
   This reserve is well worth an hours stop. I'm sure there are many more birds to add to Merrilyn's and my list.
  It is located on the western side of the Maroondah Highway 11.3k's north of the Maryville turnoff or approximately 2k's south of Buxton.
 37 26.9S   145 41.6E

  Cheers
  Marlene