birding-aus

Brown Treecreepers in forest habitat

To: "birding aus" <>, "cog-l" <>
Subject: Brown Treecreepers in forest habitat
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:20:16 +1000

I think that this may be of interest to someone.

Brown Treecreepers typically inhabit open woodland and are generally at highest density in semi-arid habitat. I have found several in probably unusual forest habitat. I did a trip from Buchan (eastern Victoria) to Jindabyne (SE NSW) along the road through Suggan Buggan, on 21 to 22 May 2001. Brown Treecreepers were prominent among the birds at Suggan Buggan and I saw several others after that, along the road towards the NSW border. They behaved in their usual way, foraging on fallen timber and rocks and admittedly were in the more open spaces and in small areas of box & stringybark woodland, however the prevaling habitat there is forest. There were no White-throated Treecreepers noticed at Suggan Buggan, although that species was at Candlebark Cottage.

For anyone contemplating this trip, it is approx 180 km, requiring at least the best part of a day (in winter, though less in summer) to traverse and appreciate and do some birding. It is a mostly narrow, very windy dirt road (unsuitable for caravans), requiring slow driving. There are no facilities (some camping sites and small settlements). The rewards are historic sites, lovely scenery and bush habitat, partly along the snowy river. I stayed overnight at the quaint Candlebark Cottage, Eagle Lodge, Wulgulmerang, about 15 km south of Suggan Buggan.

Philip