birding-aus

Local lists

To: "Vella" <>
Subject: Local lists
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:48:35 +1000
Hi Edwin and other listers,

I've kept a list of birds seen at Maroubra Beach, Sydney, in the past six
years, which now stands at 159, 58 of which are seabirds. There are still
lots of common birds that haven't turn up yet, such as Red-browed Finch,
Wood Duck or Fairy Martin, so the list is bound to continue growing. Three
years ago (1998) the list for the Randwick Council area, which extends
along the eastern coastal area from Centennial Park to Botany Bay, stood at
172. It has records going back to the last century, and includes such gems
as Corncrake and Upland Sandpiper.Today the Randwick list stands at about
222, and increase of about 30% in three years! Almost all of the additions
have come from the Maroubra Beach area, many seabirds, but also quite a few
land birds. The most amazing thing for me is that in Australia there are
still hotspots even in the cities that remain to be discovered by birders.

If anyone has records from Maroubra or Randwick that they think may be
unusual, I'd love to hear from them. If anyone is interested in an
annotated list of the Maroubra birds, I'd be happy to send it to them as an
enclosure (in Excel format).

Cheers

Rod Gardner