birding-aus

Re:Deaths in custody

To: <>
Subject: Re:Deaths in custody
From: "Robert Berry" <>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:36:52 +1000
Thanks to all who replied publicly or privately,
there was some concern that maybe I preferred to find bad news. Not so. Nor do I think extinction preferable to Extinct in the Wild.

Some birds have been brought through very narrow bottlenecks without captive management such as Black Robin, others owe their continued survival to the aviculturalists. The Lord Howe Island Woodhen is a classic beneficiary. The loss of a substantial proportion of the remaining genetic diversity of a species is one of the risks that captive management entails, the literature is biased towards good news stories, no one rushes to tell the world that the remainder of a species was lost because of a vitamin overdose. Thus in trying to write a balanced piece I was after some specifics on the Helmeted Honeyeater case, I'd still be grateful for a reference.

Special thanks to :-
Michael Todd
Ian Clark
Chris Tzaros