birding-aus

Intersting Wren behaviour

Subject: Intersting Wren behaviour
From: "david taylor" <>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:43:33 -0000
I was absolutely fascinated with the behaviour of a young male Superb Fairy Wren at my home in suburban Brisbane last Saturday. As I was standing in the driveway the bird flew down to my car, perched on the side passenger mirror and proceded to "rotate'' around the back of it - almost like it was sliding down the back! It then would come back to the top, pause a moment and do it again. This was interesting enough, but when it quickly and deliberately moved across the car to the driver mirror and repeated the procedure about three times I was amazed! Then it again went back to the other side and repeated the exercise. I wondered whether there may be some insects on the car, but as soon as the bird flew off I checked and there was no sign of anything. There seemed no clear reason why the bird would do this for about three minutes. If I didnt know better the bird appeared to be just enjoying a game!!? Do birds have fun? Do birds know cars have mirrors on both sides? This one certainly looked like it was something he had done before! These gorgeous little birds are resident in my garden and give me much pleasure, but this behaviour topped the lot! Do birds have fun?

Good birding

David Taylor