birding-aus

Toonpan

To: <>
Subject: Toonpan
From: "Marleen Acton" <>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:20:37 +1000
G'day everyone,
                        Toonpan is located 25-35km west of Townsville on the old Flinders Highway, A key is required for access as it is part of the catchment area for the Ross River Dam. So has extensive wetlands, open plains (good for Bustards)  and some open forest. The Townsville Bird Observers have been given a key to monitor the area. We also do Atlas counts every three-four months.

 The birding is extremely easy as for the most part you just drive along the disused road and look, I forgot to say that the Glossy Ibis have also returned.

Marleen.