birding-aus

Swift Parrot/Regent HE survey

Subject: Swift Parrot/Regent HE survey
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 21:32:01 +1100

G'day birders,

Just returned from a most enjoyable weekend in Killawarra State Forest
(north-east Victoria) with Dave Parker and Julie Hennessy.  The forest is
dominated by stands of Mugga Ironbark and Grey Box, with smaller amounts of
White Box and River Red Gum along the many drainage lines.  To cut a long story
short, we saw NO Regent Honeyeaters, despite checking many of the usual haunts,
but scored very well with Swifties.  It was very hard to estimate their numbers
because they were very active and mobile throughout the forest, but I would
guess no less than 100 birds, and probably as many as 140.  Much of the Ironbark
is blossoming but the Swifties for some reason didn't really seem too fussed.
Most were seen in Grey Box areas.  Few foraging observations were obtained.

Our job also involved surveying the Warby Ranges and Boweya FFR.  No target
species were seen in the Warbies. Ian Davidson checked Boweya finding about 50
Swifties there.

Lots of other nice little birdies in Killawarra too.  Highlights were two
Purple-crowned Lorikeets (rare in north-east Victoria) and a possible aural
record of a Superb Parrot.  Other nice regulars included Hooded Robins, Diamond
Firetails, Painted Button-quail and Owlet Nightjars.

Don't you just love the box-ironbark in winter!

Cheers,
Chris Tzaros