birding-aus

Regent HE and Swift Parrot Survey in Bulga NSW 200501

To: <>
Subject: Regent HE and Swift Parrot Survey in Bulga NSW 200501
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 19:47:34 -0700
Today, myself, Rod Gardner and Ilana, conducted our surveys at Bulga, in the NSW Hunter Region (about 200 km north-west of Sydney CBD). We scored a big zero in seeing any of the target species, but this mainly overcast day was an enjoyable one. David G., I will send you the completed survey sheets.

A good variety of woodland birds were present at Bulga - a Collared Sparrowhawk, Painted Button-quail (one also seen flying off from the road at Colo Heights besides at Bulga), Common Bronzewing, Little Lorikeets (3), Fan-tailed and Shinning Bronze-cuckoos, a Rose Robin, several Red-capped Robins, a pair of Hooded Robins (plus another on our way near Howes Valley), Rufous Whistler, Restless Flycatcher, Grey-crowned Babblers, several Speckled Warblers, a few Brown Treecreepers, Diamond Firetails amongst other finches, lots of Spotted and fewer Striated Pardalotes and White-winged Choughs. The air filled with beautiful flute notes of Pied Butcherbirds.

In a small swamp just out of the town were 2 Yellow-billed Spoonbills and 3 Hardheads.

Saw only one Eucalypt in flower along Wallaby Scrub Rd, a Grey Box which had the Little Lorikeets and a few Honeyeaters. There wer not much of a variety of Honeyeaters today, compared to previous surveys. Noisy Friarbirds and Striped Honeyeaters were absent because of very little flowering activity.

Edwin Vella