birding-aus

Spotlighting - Royal NP, Sydney

Subject: Spotlighting - Royal NP, Sydney
From: "Marc Anderson" <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:04:46 -0000

Hi All,
          had a great night spotlighting last night around the Audley picnic areas in the Royal NP south of Sydney. Not too many birds but lots of mammals including excellent views of a delicate Feathertailed Glider which glided into a tree right next to us. I didn't appreciate how small these little creatures were until I saw them in the flesh!!

Other wildlife recorded was:

-Owlet Nightjar (1 heard)
-Tawny Frogmouth (1 unusually large bird which had a brownish looking back in the spotlight  it caused a bit of a excitement at first glance, as we could only see its back & it looked remarkably unlike a frogmouth & more like a Tyto owl.)
- Sugar Glider (1 - spotted in a mid-air glide & came in to land right above us just like the Feathertail !)
- Common Ringtail Possum (3)
- Common Brushtail Possum (lots!!)
- Wallaby (probably Swamp - circ. 12)
- Javan Rusa Deer ( 3 - too many!)

 This is certainly a great place to spotlight, especially for someone who is just visiting the country & would like to see a nice range of wildlife in a short space of time. On other occasions I have seen or heard Long-nosed Bandicoots, Grey-headed Flying Fox, unidentified bat species, & Boobook Owl. Powerful Owl used to have a few regular roosts in the area but as far as I know, they haven't been seen in some time. If anyone knows of any recent records of P. Owl or any other sightings of interest in the area I would be grateful to hear of them.

Regards
Marc Anderson
57 Parklands Ave
Heathcote. NSW.2233