birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Werribee Victoria

To: "Birding- aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Werribee Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:11:12 +1000
I spent a most pleasant day at the Treatment Plant today, Wednesday 9th.
Driving along Pt Wilson Rd were a few Flame Robins sitting on the fence.
There were plenty of Pink Eared Duck  on the Austin Rd., Lagoons, with them
were a number of Shovelers , a few Hard Heads were not far behind quite a
few Grey & Chestnut Teal.  On Paradise Rd.; Avocets and some Banded Stilts
were on the first pond, a Glossy Ibis near the Black -winged Stilts on the
second pond.  Going on to the Conservation Ponds and Borrow Pits were coots,
Grebe, Musk Duck  Pacific Black.  There were a few Curlew Sandpipers and
some Black-fronted Dotterel.  As we travelled west along the coast I was
very excited to see an Australasian Bittern, my first ever, what an amazing
bird. All the cormorants were there, a few Whiskered terns, at the mouth of
the Little River there were 8  Pied Oystercatchers flashing their red beaks.
Add a couple of Royal Spoonbills and a Cisticola or 2 , Black-shouldered &
Whistling Kites, Swamp Harrier: Our final count was 61.  I had taken my
cousin who had never been birding before.  I think she will be back!  No
Freckled Duck.  I have yet to see one! I will be visiting East Gippsland for
the next couple of weeks but am always delighted to take anyone down to our
beautiful Treatment Plant
Shirley Cameron