birding-aus

Short trip report - NSW circuit.

Subject: Short trip report - NSW circuit.
From: "Marc Anderson" <>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 04:17:15 -0000

Hi All,

          I spent the last week on a short but hurried trip through central-west NSW (Cowra, Pilliga area, Armidale) then across to Dorrigo/Coffs Harbour & back home to Sydney. Originally the trip was going to take in Barrington Tops but due to the rain I thought it wise to re-schedule!

 Highlights of the trip were:  10 Superb Parrots 20km north of Cowra (on the road to Forbes), Turquoise Parrots & Black-eared Cuckoo in the Pilliga Forest & stunning views of a party of Wompoo Pigeons feeding in the picnic area of Woolgoolga Creek Flora Reserve nth of Coffs Harbour. This reserve was an excellent site early in the morning & well worth a visit although the walking trail is a little overgrown & wet!!

 I would like to thank Alan Morris & Peter Ekert for their info on Scrub-birds in Barrington - although I didn't get there, I will be back to try again soon!! Also I would like to thank David Johnston for putting together the informative & colourful brochure ' Birds Routes of Baradine & The Pilliga' which I picked up from a caravan park in Coonabarabran.

 Total species for the trip was 160, including a colourful 16 species of parrots!!

Cheers

Marc Anderson
57 Parklands Ave
Heathcote. NSW.2233