birding-aus

Birding in the Mallee

To: "Birding- aus" <>
Subject: Birding in the Mallee
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:20:25 +1000
I spent last week in the Bookmark Biosphere in S.A. This is a huge
area(7.682,300 square kilometres) of Mallee of which Gluepot Reserve is a
part.  Calperum Station (not a working property , now cared for volunteers &
Landcare) and  Danggali Conservation Park.   The birding was most
fascination in the Lignums, Saltbush & Samphire , on the floodplains and the
wetlands too.  There are  235 listed species. Access is limited so I went
with Bob Goodfellow from Berri.  I had delightful viewings  of the Southern
Scrub-robin, Chestnut -crowned Babblers, Red-capped Robins a plenty, Hooded
Robin, Gilbert's Whistler and Chestnut Quail-thrush were my most delightful
sightings. October would probably be a better time but the autumn weather
was just delightful.
I have been bird watching for only 6 years and prefer to go out with groups.
As people recently listed places where to stay I would be pleased if people
could recommend birding groups.  I have no affiliation with any organisation
but have thoroughly enjoyed going out with Gippsland High Country Tours
naturally in the High Country but out to Lake Eyre as well , Northwest
Safari across the Great Victorian Desert, and now I add Bob Goodfellow from
Berri  to the list.  I would appreciate birders recommendations of other
groups.

Shirley Cameron