birding-aus

winter feeding flocks

To: "Laurence Living" <>, <>, "Michael Ramsey" <>
Subject: winter feeding flocks
From: "Ian Rainbow" <>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:48:27 +1000
Michael, Birding-ausers,
I was recently in the Killawarra State Forest briefly(18/4/01), entering from the Boweya Road and saw no flocks, unless you count the ever present Noisy Friar Birds!  I did manage to see a Brown Treecreeper, Yellow-tuftedHoneyeater, White Plumed Honeyeater (juvenile), White Eared Honeyeater, Grey Shrike Thrush, Crimson Rosellas, and the Parsons Bands orchid.  This was much more interesting than the nearby Warby Ranges which produced about 5 birds for most of their length!  Later the same day on the other side of Wangaratta at the Oven's Billabongs near the Freeway we were able to watch a group of 6 Crested Shrike-tits, as well as Red-Browed Firetails, White Throated and also Brown Treecreepers, Grey Fantail, Willy Wagtail, Grey Shrike Thrush, White Plumed Honeyeater, a female Golden Whistler and Superb Wren during a 20 min count. These birds were amongst the trees of the picnic areas, rather than next to the river where we saw very little.
Ian Rainbow, Upwey, Vic