birding-aus

Are we birders, twitchers etc a rare species or what

To: <>
Subject: Are we birders, twitchers etc a rare species or what
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:44:42 -0700
The place where I most encounter other birdos (those who are not initailly with me or on the club outings) in Sydney area have been in the Hawkesbury (such as McGraths Hills and the Turf Farms as Darryl McKay mentioned) or Newcastle areas (such as Shortland and Kooragang Island).

When I was in WA last March, apart from meeting Frank O'connor, I was the only birder around wherever I travelled. Shame I had no one to share sightings of Noisy Scrub-bird, Western Whipbirds, Grey Honeyeaters etc etc with!

I am no armchair birdo, but do see some interesting birds around or close to home or on my way to and from work. I can not deny that I am an active twitcher (but probably not yet to the extreme of several other birdos). However, I do enjoy most of all, the fine outdoor experience after a hard working week in the office. A time to breathe in fresh air while going on a energetic walk through some fine Aussie bush, regardless whether lifers are around or not.

Edwin