birding-aus

Gardens of Stone National Park.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Gardens of Stone National Park.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:24:49 +1000
Hi All.

On Saturday John Duranti, Colin Scouler and I visited this area which is
situated in the Wollemi National Park area. about 120K. west of Sydney and
30K.north of Lithgow. The weather was far better than predicted, mainly
sunny, still and warm and good for birding. The habitat is upland heath and
woodland with wet eucalypti forest in the gorges, it does not support a huge
range of bird species but some of the birds in the area are very nice to
see.

Some of the highlights were: a large flock of yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos
flying overhead while we were having morning tea at Bungleboori Picnic Area
in Newnes State Forest, Gang-gang Cockatoos and a Wedge-tailed Eagle at The
Ruined City. Four Rock Warblers, Cresent Honeyeaters and a Red-browed
Treecreeper on the walking track to the Glow Worm Tunnel. Also a Pilotbird
was heard not far from the tunnel entrance. On a previous occasion I saw a
Beautiful Firetail there.

The scenery in this area is nothing short of spectacular, the rock
formations are interesting and the views great. The history of the area is
associated with the old railway that ran from Newnes Junction on the western
line down to the long defunct shale oil mine at Newnes and was briefly used
to move out kerosene bearing shale from the mine. You drive along the old
rail bed for part of the way in. The road is gravel and rough in patches but
suitable for 2 WD if you exercise reasonable care. The Ruined City is about
4K. west of  the picnic area, you would need a 4WD or good hiking boots to
visit it. You also need a map for the area, Parks and Wildlife publish one
called "Glow Worm Tunnel Track" Unfortunately it does not show the track to
The Ruined City.

For a great mix of scenery, birds and history choose a sunny, still, autumn
day as we did or if you want a chance for Satin Flycatchers and possibly
Cicadabird try late October before it gets too hot. Take a torch if you want
to walk
through the tunnel.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.