birding-aus

SIPO at Woody Point, SEQ

To: <>
Subject: SIPO at Woody Point, SEQ
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:47:58 +1000
After two unsuccessful attempts, managed to see the South Island Pied Oystercatcher in front of the Humpybong Yacht Club (next to Croakett Park) on Anzac Day, 25/4.As other observers have noted, the smaller and shorter appearance first leads you to the bird, then the longer (it appears both relatively and absolutely) bill length. The longer and wider white wing bar is also noticeable but there seems to me to be quite some variation in the wing bar amongst the OZPO's.

I also felt the behaviour of the SIPO was more anxious and ill-at-ease ,particularly when it moved through the 14 OZPO's. It was the subject of aggression by more than one OZPO and looked almost as if it felt bullied.

 Great to see , my first tick for 2001!!

         Russ Lamb,
                      Maleny SEQ