birding-aus

Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters at Gilgandra NSW

To: <>
Subject: Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters at Gilgandra NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:19:25 +1000
Hi Birders,
John Harris on 27 April 2001 queried whether he had seen Yellow-plumed or Grey-headed Honeyeaters near Gilgandra on a recent trip through that area. Firstly Grey-headed Honeyeaters do not occur in NSW, they occur further north in Central Australia and inland Queensland. However Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters do occur in the mallee remnants around Gilgandra, particularly at Coolbaggie Nature Reserve near Eumungerie, in parts of the Goonoo State Forest and in the Gilgandra Flora Reserve near Bearbung. So that is possibly what he saw.

Grey-fronted Honeyeaters have been reported in the Pilliga forests however the NSW Ornithological Records Appraisal Committee did not accept a record referred to them and when I have followed up some alleged reports, I believe that the observers mis-identified Fuscous Honeyeaters which are relatively common in some of the white box woodland around Coonabrabran-Baradine in the Pilliga forests.

I would like to have more details of the Yellow-plumed Honeyeater observation if John could email me direct please.

Alan Morris
Editor, NSW Bird Report