birding-aus

Fraser Park, Caloundra

To: Russell Woodford <>,
Subject: Fraser Park, Caloundra
From: Helen Horton <>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:03:10 +1000
Russell

The coastal tree called Cotton wood, or Cotton tree, is Hibiscus tiliaceus. It's common along the coast behind beaches and behind mangroves in estuaries. It is Australian, not introduced. It's a good tree in itself, but I should think we would all agree that a diversity of trees is preferable. I suppose the humans behind this are influenced by the good looks of the tree, spreading (and therefore shady), and with attractive flowers. Still, the targetted trees you mentioned are also pretty attractive in their different ways, and would certainly be preferred by some of the bird species mentioned.

Helen Horton