birding-aus

White-fronted Honeyeaters near Stawell, western Victoria

Subject: White-fronted Honeyeaters near Stawell, western Victoria
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:32:25 +1100

Hi everyone,

Have undertaken my first fieldtrip for Swift Parrots for the year, and it looks
like St. Arnaud-Stawell and Rushworth are key areas for the swifties.

A number (at least 5) White-fronted Honeyeaters have appeared in the Illawarra
State Forest about 5km west of Stawell, which is well south of their usual
range, chasing each other around among the dense understorey of dwarf she-oaks.
I also thought I heard earlier in the day even further south but didn't allow
myself to believe it.  Jeepers creepers!

It is here that I also saw Rainbow, Musk, Purple-crowned, Little Lorikeet and
Swift Parrot all at the one site, which I have never seen before.  Rainbow
Lorikeets are virtually absent from the box-ironbark forests of Victoria except
in the far west, where flowering eucalypts (Yellow Gums in this instance)
attract some birds from the Grampians breeding population.

The Rushworth-Bailieston area (central Victoria) is alive with nectar feeders of
all kinds as well, and I'd tip that if a Regent Honeyeater is seen west of the
Goulburn this year it will be in this area, as it was in 1998.

Simon Kennedy