birding-aus

Birding software..

To: Michael Ramsey <>, birding-aus posts <>
Subject: Birding software..
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:59:17 +1000
I purchased Bird Recorder 4 way back in 1992. That version was DOS based. I found it cumbersome, difficult to use. Of course, it could be that the more contemporary Windows version may be easier. One would expect so. Their web site is http://www.wildlife.co.uk/ not as previously advised. Note there that they have versions for hand-held computers: Pocket Bird Recorder. A Windows CE version and one for Palm PDAs - what a brilliant innovation!

David

Michael Ramsey wrote:

Hi all,

A week or two ago I posted a notice regarding recommendations for any birding software products. More of you wanted to know what recommendations I recieved than I got. Only two were recommended to me which are below.

BirdInfo for Windows is an Australian based program that does come with a mapping facility. It costs around $99 AUD, quite reasonable compared to others. It seemed quite good on the website. The website is:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~sbennett/birdinfo.html

Another that was suggested was BirdBase, an American program. I was not too impressed by the website but it was recommended. I could not find the cost. The website is:

http://members.aol.com/SBSP/

The final one which I actually found on the net and researced myself was BirdRecorder. I found, from the website this to be the best program (so far, for my needs). It is a UK based program but can be easily altered to suit any country. It has a mapping facility available for Australia, Australian state lists and a graphing facility on a professional version, or without on a simpler one. The price however (for myself) is quite high 120 pounds, over 300 dollars. Website:

http://wildlife.co.uk

I hope this has been a help to someone. There are many more that can be researched on the net such as: AviSys, Thayer's Birders Diary and Merlin Software. If anyone else has any other reccomendations I and others would surely appreciate them. At the moment I am undecided what program I will purchase, probably between BirdInfo or BirdRecorder.

Michael Ramsey,

Wangaratta, Vic.