birding-aus

Beautiful firetail and friends

To: <>
Subject: Beautiful firetail and friends
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:27:07 +1000
At Fitzroy falls (NSW) on Sunday, I was pleasantly surprised by a party of beautiful firetails. They flew in to busily peck on a couple of small clifftop she-oaks, just above "the Grotto". There were 10 or so, in company with some red-browed finches. They didn't seem to be disturbed by people climbing the steps nearby, some even perched on fence wires as they passed. They moved on after about 20 mins.
They're easy to find recently at Barren Grounds observatory, feeding along the track between the carpark and the accommodation hut, and just beyond, occasionally being joined by an Eastern Bristlebird. I found that there's a big tiger snake lurking near the hut as well.