birding-aus

White-browed Woodswallows in Grampians

Subject: White-browed Woodswallows in Grampians
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:27:58 +1000

G'day all

I visited my (once upon a time) never fail site for Hooded Robins on Saturday
and was rewarded with 100's of White-browed Woodswallows.  The site is in the
Grampians State Forest west of Cherrypool on the Hamilton-Horsham road.  The
forest is open woodland of yellow gums and stringy barks with little understory.
The Woodswallows were feeding in the yellow gum blossum and hawking over the
canopy.  I looked very hard for Masked Woodswallows but couldn't find any.

White-browed Woodswallows are uncommon visitors to this part of the world
(south-western Victoria).  I have records of hundreds (with a few Masked) over
Hamilton in Occtober 1991 and three in a woodlot south of Hamilton in October
1997.

As for the Hooded Robins - they used to be here regularly but not seen since
1986.  I live in hope.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark