birding-aus

Werribee Birding

To: <>
Subject: Werribee Birding
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:48:00 +1000
Hello all,

This past Monday morning I spent several hours at Werribee Sewagr Farm, predominantly the Austin Rd. lagoons and Lake Borrie.
Amazingly, I saw 10 species which we did not record on our twitchathon day.
Some interesting records included my first Australian sighting of Black Falcon, a flock of 170+ White-winged Black terns feeding and roosting within the lagoons, many of which were in full breeding plumage and most in at least partial, one Whiskered Tern (1st yr) in amongst them, fantastic views of them hovering over the lagoons at only several metres away.
Many double-banded plovers were evident, small flocks of other small waders, one immature Pallid Cuckoo on the road in, still being fed by a Willie Wagtail (late date ?), pipits, bushlarks feeding on the gravel roads around Lake Borrie, one pair of Blue-billed Ducks at Austin Rd. and many others on the Lake Borrie side.  Went to Lake Borrie specifically to have a go at seeing Freckled Duck (as female was reported many months ago, I believe).  No luck after scanning through thousands of Pink-eareds and others.  Are freckled ducks consistently on Lake Borrie, is there a seasonal pattern to their appearance ??????

Cheers for now,

Paul