birding-aus

Bush Curlews at Kinchant Dam near Mackay

Subject: Bush Curlews at Kinchant Dam near Mackay
From: "desley williams" <>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 05:30:26 -0000

From Desley Williams

With further reference of my email re Bush Curlews in the Hibiscus Coast area north of Mackay:  another excellent spot is at Kinchant Dam 40km west of Mackay between the  Sugar Towns of  Eton and Marian.   K/Dam  has always been an excellent area for Bush S/Curlews; in one count about 4 years ago I recorded approx. 270 which are seen under trees on both sides of a half  kilometre stretch of  roadside between the School Recreational Camp and the Resort.   But in visits since that time I have not recorded  such large numbers, usually no more than 50. When I expressed my concern to the  the owner of Kinchant Waters Resort  he advised me that  the Curlews are still there in large numbers and breeding; but have moved back into the hills to roost; apparently due to increased useage of the dam through water sports, educational camps etc.   He said they can be seen in large numbers on most nights around the  the resort.  The resort situated on a small hill has good accommodation: cabins, backpackers, restaurant and camping facilities.  There are  excellent views of  the lake from 2 or 3 cabins, the balcony being a good sport to relax with a scope.  The owner is proud of the wonderful bird life and the bird list which was commenced about 10 years ago,  now comprises 193  species: large numbers of water birds on the dam (which supplies water to the area's canefields) also bush birds on the owner's property comprising semi-rainforest covered hills; eucalypts and open woodlands.  The owner is happy to give permission to birders who wish to bird on his property adjacent to  the resort.  A friend and I have bush-camped on the property, and during 24 hours of atlassing trips usually record 95 - 100 species.     I would recommend   Kinchant Dam as a good  good stop-over for a night or two en-route to Eungella for Eungella Honeyeater, but don't go on a weekend because the lake is covered with power boats and jet skis, the birds disappear to the far side of the lake which is approx. 5km across and more difficult to access.          Regards,  Desley Williams