birding-aus

birding accommodation

To: "michael hunter" <>
Subject: birding accommodation
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:22:40 +0930
No Michael, not a diehard at all, in fact I'm most intolerant of climatic
discomfort. But I do like driving for days on end, it's part of the fun to
wander and be able to stop when and where you feel like it, and I am very
much against  going to flash joints and paying exorbitant prices just for
somewhere to fall asleep and
not know the difference, they really rip you off.  I'd rather put the money
into fuel in order to go further.
( I know the economists like to think about all those rich American tourists
bringing in their money and creating employment, but even as a tour guide I
question whether it makes sense to degrade some of our best birding
territory by having lots of tourists cluttering the place and making their
mess.)

I actually HATE the temperature being above 25degrees ( well, maybe 27), and
as
for that disgusting humidity north of Sydney - YUK.  And the mozzies !! Ugh
ugh, no way.   But, I have learned to put up with it in short bursts for the
sake of seeing birds.  When I'm too cold I can always put on more clothing,
but when I'm hot I can only get down to skin - I've found it hurts to take
off more than that ( and it attracts more flies).
I'm afraid that being a dude birder who insists on 4 or 5 star travel and
accommodation is not for me, I consider it a waste of money. But on the
other hand I only camp if I can't avoid it.
You do it your way, I'll do it mine.
Tony.
Incidentally, I'm on Klaus' ausbird directory.
Adelaide birding by 4WD
phone: 08 8337 5959
email: