birding-aus

Sweers Island & Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sweers Island & Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:54:37 +1000
g'day all,

Sweers Island is 70km north of Burketown in the Gulf of Carpentaria.
I was able to spend 1-1/2 days birding on the southern part of the Island last weekend.
I have not yet compiled my bird list, but it should be approaching 50 species.

What did standout was recording the Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove.
None of the Field Guides nor the 1st Atlas show the southern part of the Gulf as its territory. I am was not really surprised to see the bird as the habitat on this part of the island was ideal for it. The Island has a number of small fresh water swamps which supports a variety of dense vegetation.

When I was asking the resort owners what were the resident species they mentioned the RcFD was to be seen only a few 100 meters from the accommodation units. I had the good fortune to get a clear view of one bird.

Unfortunately Lyn Battle, the resident birding enthusiast was absent, so I will have to wait to find out any more of the habits of the bird.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.