birding-aus

Mulu National Park, Sarawak, East Malaysia

To: <>
Subject: Mulu National Park, Sarawak, East Malaysia
From: "Igor Debski" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:33:39 +1000
During 1998 and 1999 I spent quite a bit of time in Northern Sarawak, based
at Lambir Hills National Park, 30 kms south of Miri. Whilst I agree that
birding at Mulu is slow (as in any rain forest in Borneo where birds
typically occur at very low density due to the low productivity of the
system), I think many of the 300 species recorded there are still present. I
climbed Mt Mulu (pretty tough, and with very few people - our group were the
only people that week), and was amazed by the numbers of Hornbills - we
would encounter groups of various species at least every two hours or so.
Hornbills suffer greatly from hunting (food, cask and feathers) and
therefore I regard them as pretty good indicator species.
My suggestion for rain forest birding is Lambir Hills National Park. It's
only a small park, but while I was there a colleague and myself increased
the bird list to some 219 species. Most of these were seen within one km of
the park headquarters. See the full list at:
http://www.geocities.com/mikeshanahan/vertlistLHNP.html
A visiting group of Canadian birders saw over 100 species in about four
days.
If anyone would like more details of this site contact me directly.
Cheers,
Igor

Igor Debski

c/o C.S.I.R.O., Tropical Forest Research Centre,
PO Box 780, Atherton,
Qld 4883, Australia.
Phone:  +61-7-4091 8828/ +61-7-4091 8800
Fax 61-7-4091 8888