birding-aus

Pratincloes around Dubbo, Central West NSW

To: <>
Subject: Pratincloes around Dubbo, Central West NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:09:08 +1000
Hi Birders,

It is true that Dubbo is on the extreme eastern edge of the range of the Australian Pratincole in central NSW, as suggested by David Geering in his report to Birding-Aus today 30/3/010 and records for Dubbo are hard to find.

Some recent records include between October-December 1977 at Lake Cowal, Parkes, Narrabri, Dubbo & Gilgandra. The Dubbo birds were seen on the Dubbo airport and there were about 3 birds on 1 December. in the company of 18 Banded Lapwings, including two chicks.

A single bird was seen again at Dubbo  6-7 August 1982

The birds were usually seen when in my capacity as the NPWS Manager at Coonabrabran (1975-1982), I drove to Dubbo to fly to Broken Hill etc and saw them from the aircraft! Had I been resident in Dubbo, they may have been found to occur more often.

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer