birding-aus

Warning

To: "BIRDING_AUS" <>
Subject: Warning
From: "Chris Padley" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:12:05 +0100
Hi all,
        Just a short line to warn you about a virus going the rounds at the
moment. This is not one for you to consider as a hoax because I have been
off line for several days because of it. I received an e:mail along with
many others from birding aus - I think on Sunday last - I should have
recognised & deleted it without opening the attachment but I didn't. In the
sender name section it had an e:mail address - no subject & the date & time
sent. When I put the cursor on this the letter it opened & was blank.
Stupidly I clicked on the attachment without thinking & hey presto - 1 virus
on my machine. The attachment was called Hanson. The results over the next
few days were that my Windows 98 became useless & I have had to re-format
the hard drive & am now in the process of re-loading everything. The
transmission method is that it sends its own e:mail toeveryone that you
e:mail - luckily only one person - only I think he would disagree with me!.
The virus is called W95.MTX & has both a virus & worm component. Take care -
this is also another good reason to make sure that your ISP is set to send
only in plain text. If set to HTML it puts the message on as an attachment.
Happy days - still with few birds around as yet & Foot & mouth I should have
plenty of time to sort everything out. If anyone else got the virus please
let me know .

Cheers

Chris

Helen & Chris Padley,