birding-aus

Useful threads

To: "" <>
Subject: Useful threads
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:02:55 +1000
Currently I'm a subscriber to over 9 'birding' mailing-lists world-wide
and I'm always amazed at the vitriol and depth-of-anger that this
subject seems to spark off in people.
Why do people who are interested in wild birds appear to be very
pleasant folk (in the main) and seem to get on quite well face-to-face
but descend to puerile name-calling when discussing their interest?
Surely all of us have the welfare of our native birdlife as our
top-priority and intelligent discussion should further this cause.
I've seen comments by people who have also subscribed to non-birding
mailing-lists that they have never seen anger expressed in such a
fashion. We've just recovered from the cannon-netting thread, introduced
species thread and now we are accusing each other of childishness over
what I see as a very interesting question....what are the threats to
birds?
Wouldn't it be nice if we could discuss these issues and see some
constructive results?
Tom Tarrant
Samsonvale, Qld
PS. Please send all silly comments to me personally and not the whole
list!