birding-aus

Channel-billed Cuckoo and Magpies

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Channel-billed Cuckoo and Magpies
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:53:41 +1000
g'day all,

This season the C-b C have avoided their previous roosting places with my only sightings of them were flying overhead.

However, 2 young hatched at our golf course and presumably from the nest where each year the nest owners (Australian Magpies) attack golfers.  I first noticed them 2 weeks ago when the 2 almost fully grown juveniles were heard begging for food on a Figtree branch and being fed by a group of magpies.

Last Wednesday, after golf I returned and checked them out at close quarters. They were now in separate Figtrees and being fed by separate groups of magpies. One of the C-b C sometimes would fly down onto the fairway and wait alongside one of the magpies and still calling out for food.

Yesterday at dusk  I noted a C-b C (still crying out for food) with 3 magpies roosting on a 132,000V tower (about 400meters from the earlier sightings.) This time the magpies were ignoring the begging calls.

Question: Is it rare/common for 2 C-b C to hatch from the one nest ?

 Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.