birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters on Glen Davis Road

Subject: Regent Honeyeaters on Glen Davis Road
From: "Liam Hughes" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:59:26
Hi everyone,

Just thought some of you would be interested to know that I was very fortunate to see some Regent Honeyeaters along the Glen Davis Road last week, each day from March 14th to March 17th. I'm sorry I was unable to report them earlier but this is the first time I've been able to access an internet terminal since then. The exact location is about 19 km down the road from the turn-off in Capertee. As you approach the site there will be some small Casuarinas on the right hand side of the road, and 3 cypresses on the left, with a dead tree of some sort between the 2nd & 3rd cypress, on which you will often find a small bird or 2 perched, usually a Diamond Firetail. Large open fields with a few large trees are to the left of the road & a small field being reclaimed by woodland are to your right. The Regents seem to prefer one particular tree, a large gum with red flowers (I'm sorry I've only been in Oz 5 weeks - I don't know all my trees yet!), which is right on the roadside, right next to a pipe running under the road.The Regents can be hard to see but they were singing each time I went by, morning, afternoon & evening. Also lots of White-plumed Honeyeaters and a few Fuscous as well in the same tree. There were usually at least 2 Regents present, but there may have been as many as 5 the morning of the 15th.

So that's about as detailed as I can describe the site, and I don't know if the birds will still be there or not, but I was surprised to find them there each time I went by. If anyone has any questions feel free to write to me, but I can't check my e-mail everyday so I apologize for any delayed responses. Cheers!

Liam