birding-aus

Wildlife as Pets (long)

To: "" <>
Subject: Wildlife as Pets (long)
From: Mike Owen <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:25:28 +1000
Tom Tarrant wrote:

> Would like to forward the attached from Wildlife Preservation
> Association onto Birding Aus subscribers in case they are not aware of
> these proposals affecting our wildlife,
> Marie Tarrant, Samsonvale, Qld.
>
> Public meetings will be held throughout Queensland this week to try to
> gather support for a reduction in regulations to facilitate the
> commercial and recreational use of our wildlife. So far the consultation
> process has been flawed, with very few carers, or organisations,
> receiving copies of the draft document. The process has been one of
> selective consultation, rather
> than broad-brush. On Saturday morning we received a list of where the
> meetings were to take place, and only after we asked for it. It is
> impossible for us to communicate with many of our members at short
> notice, particularly those without email. If you have an opportunity to
> attend any of the meetings, please do so, and make a stand about
> protecting wildlife, not opening the door to wide-scale wildlife
> exploitation.

This statement seriously misrepresents the current situation in
Queensland.  Firstly the meetings being held in Queensland are not to
try to gather support for a relaxing of wildlife laws but are designed
give members of the public a chance to have some input into possible
improved laws governing CAPTIVE native animals in Queensland.

Secondly there is no draft document, and the QPWS, which is conducting
this consultation process, has not developed any firm views as to the
direction the State's wildlife laws should take.

The reason the review is taking place is that the current Act - the
Nature Conservation Act, 1992 - is one of the most poorly drafted bits
of legislation in place in Australia such that gaining a conviction
under it is nigh on impossible if a good lawyer is working for the
defendant.  It has even been used in at least one law school in
Australia as an example of badly drafted legislation.

Finally the review is only concerned with native animals that are
currently legally bred in captivity. It will not allow any relaxing of
current laws regarding native animals in the wild, in fact it is likely
to tighten the current laws regarding wild animals, especially reptiles.

Mike Owen
Sunshine Coast