birding-aus

Point Lonsdale (Vic) trip report

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Point Lonsdale (Vic) trip report
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 18:47:06 +1100
Hi all,
   Had a delightful full day on Sunday plus Monday morning birding around Point Lonsdale on the Bellarine Peninsula.
Sunday morning was spent at Lake Victoria (Lonsdale Lakes State Nature Reserve) where the numerous waders had only recently arrived according to our local friends. Birds seen were:
Curlew (some coming into colour) & Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint (colour) Black-winged & Banded Stilts, Common Greenshank, Red-capped Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Caspian & Crested Terns, White-faced Heron, Swan, Pelican, Silver Gull, 8 Little Egrets, Masked Lapwing, Black-shouldered Kite, White-browed Scrubwren, Yellow-rumped Thornbill, Welcome Swallow, Superb Fairy-wren Grey Fantail, Willie Wagtail, Magpie, Raven, Magpie-lark, Hoary-headed Grebe, Chestnut Teal, Australian Shelduck, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Nankeen Kestrel, White-fronted Chat.
Sunday afternoon was taken up around Swan Bay where we added:  White Ibis, Grey Teal, Musk Duck, Pied Oystercatcher, numerous Royal Spoonbill; Pied, Little Pied & Little Black Cormorant, Pacific Gull, Great Egret, Black Duck.
Later in the afternoon, returned to Lake Victoria but the waders had moved to the western end of the lake, whereas they had been around the south-eastern section earlier in the day, which is easier to access.
So we searched the north-eastern corner of the lake and to our delight found a pair of Hooded Plovers with a juvenile in tow. I was ecstatic. I've seen many Hooded Plovers before but this was the first juvenile for me.
The sun was getting low, so time for "happy hour".
This morning saw me back at the lake (our friends live in Emily Street so it was only a matter of walking as this is the main access point) but the waders were still at the far western end.  We had walked to this western end yesterday morning, but time constraints didn't permit that today.
Slowly returning towards the carpark, a LBB (little brown bird) flew across the track. At first I thought it a Superb Fairy-wren, but it appeared slightly different. Eventually showed itself again and I was able to add Striated Fieldwren to the list. Only the second sighting for me.
After a quick breakfast, drove to the lighthouse where I'd been promised some honeyeaters.
New Holland, Spiny-cheeked & Singing Honeyeaters were added as well as Gannet, Grey Butcherbird, Silvereye plus a Hobby sitting on the top of the lighthouse
Sighted at other locations: Spotted Pardalote, Galah, Brown Thornbill, Musk Lorikeet, Red Wattlebird.
Returned to Geelong via the Barwon Heads where we called into Belmont Common, but not a great deal of action there. As has been reported, it's drying up fast.
Lonsdale Lakes Nature Reserve: Melway edition refer map 235.
Cheers
Marlene