birding-aus

Powerful Owl in Healesville (Vic)

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Powerful Owl in Healesville (Vic)
From: Koren Mitchell <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:00:20 +1100
The birdwatching highlight of my weekend eating and drinking in the Yarra Valley was my second ever sighting of a Powerful Owl. It was sitting in a tree at the back of our motel which was near Healesville Sanctuary, about 6m off the ground, watching me intently. I looked around for a possible mate but didn't see any. The motel owner knew enough about birds to know that a powerful owl was something pretty good, and mentioned that his wife had been hearing a "different sounding" owl at night recently. Didn't see much else in the way of birds as the weather was a bit wet, apart from a couple of lovely rufous fantails and lots of white-naped and yellow-faced honeyeaters.

Cheers,
Koren

Koren Mitchell
IT Administrator, Faculty IT Unit
Rm N721, level 7, Medical Building
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, University of Melbourne
phone - (61 3) 8344 8938
fax - (61 3) 8344 0188