birding-aus

RFI Suburban and Agricultural areas Parrots

To: "BIRDING AUS (E-mail)" <>
Subject: RFI Suburban and Agricultural areas Parrots
From: "Peter Them" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:41:05 +0100
Dear All ;

Greeting from the green winter Denmark.

I am interested in the number of wild parrot species - natural
as well as feral - found in cities and towns as well as in
agricultural areas.

It is amazing how much parrot life you can find in the heart
of big cities and towns as well as in the agricultural areas.

It would be nice to have a reasonably comprehensive list of
species which have shown major population changes in the last
10 years.

Having a special interest in parrot distributions, I am
interested in the way in which species adapt, or fail to
adapt, to the changing conditions in the suburbs of cities
and towns as well as in agricultural areas.

It appears that adaptation to man-made habitats has had dramatic
consequences - adverse or favourable effects - for the distribution
of some parrot species species.

I would like to conduct a survey on parrot species which have
become either more or less common in suburbs and agricultural
areas in the last ten years.

In your responses please state :

(1) The name of the species.

(2) Whether it has increased or decreased in the last ten years.

(3) Parrot species regularly seen in the streets and urban gardens
    as well as in the agricultural areas.

(4) In which city or agricultural area you have observed the change.

(5) Any factors which you believe may have contributed to the change.

(6) Observations of parrot hybrids.

I look forward with pleasure and interest to your observations!

Thanks in advance for your response.

Best wishes, Peter

Peter H. Them, DK-Denmark, e-mail: