birding-aus

Quoll Sighting? Blue Range Vic.

To: "susannah" <>, "Andrew Stafford" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Quoll Sighting? Blue Range Vic.
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:03:02 +1100
Hi folks

The Eastern Quoll (Dasyurus viverrinus) - a rabbit sized quoll - comes in
tan as well as black livery.  They are however extinct on the mainland - now
only found in Tassie.  The Tiger or Spot-tailed Quoll (D. maculatus) - more
like a beagle sized beast - comes only in the brownish type pelage.  They
are rare and patchy in distribution, but where the observation came from, a
likely candidate.

The real question is - "Were there spots on the tail?".  That would settle
it.

Cheers -- Lawrie

Andrew wrote:

> > Yes, quolls do indeed come in different colour phases. Most are tawny
with
> > white spots, but some are striking black and white. I wouldn't usually
> > recommend this magazine to anyone but there are good photos of both
types in
> > Australian Geographic 56. I'm not convinced by Brian Fleming's
description
> > that the animal he saw was definitely a quoll, though.

L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; BH (03) 9510 5750; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail: <>