birding-aus

Fw: Pica pica

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fw: Pica pica
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:17:49 +1000
Hi Birding-aussers, here is the reply I got back from my friend Martin Cade, from the Portland Bird Observatory in the UK re; Magpie. As you will read there has been an expansion of this species in recent years to the obvious detriment of smaller Passerine species. In my years there, the species was moderately common on the adjacent mainland but extremely rare on Portland. This a native species in the UK but something seems to be happening there also.

This is an aggressive, intelligent, opportunistic bird which could I'm sure, settle into the Australian scene quite nicely if allowed and it wouldn't be just the avian fauna affected. As for the 'it takes two to tango' just remember that now makes two sightings in just a few short months on the east coast. It's a big coastline, how many are getting through un-noticed.

Cheers & good birding - Paul Walbridge.