birding-aus

Cannon Netting! That 'Poll'

Subject: Cannon Netting! That 'Poll'
From: "Night Parrot" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 04:03:15 -0000
Hello Everyone

Being the pre migration period for our waders, Cannon netters are likely to be very active as we speak. The controversy will die down almost certainly when the waders depart, but in the meantime, while regular reports of maimed and injured birds are received from wherever cannon netters are known to be operating, there is nowhere else to circulate these concerns.

The intention is to appeal to the common sense of participants to reconsider their actions, by pointing out that they will ultimately be humiliated as many people loathe cannon netting because it kills and maims so many birds, irrespective of the results that may be obtained.

There is no argument about the valuable information previously obtained, but there is a very good argument why cannon netting should be discontinued because in the eyes of many observers, the information now required for species conservation can be obtained adequately without using such intrusive techniques.

Some will say that age and sex composition, pre migration weights and other measurements are impossible to obtain without catching the birds. But it must be asked, what does it matter if there are some things that we don't know! Why is catching birds and banding them so prolific now. Are we training all these bird catchers and banders at Universities, Observatories and elsewhere without exposing them to other effective methods of study such as careful field observation to enable research? Are these bird catching participants exposed to other points of view about catching birds?

It is realised that this sort of discussion is likely to drive away some valuable list contributors and that is not my intention, so in respect to you Russell, and to others who have not learned to operate the delete button, until next wader season, I will not make any further posting about cannon netting waders!

Night Parrot