birding-aus

Quoting messages

Subject: Quoting messages
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 02:25:43 +1100
Hi all

Could I please ask that you always acknowledge the ORIGINAL AUTHOR when you quote material from previous messages? This may save misunderstandings etc. Also, copyright exists in everything you write that is original, which basically means that quoting messages without proper acknowledgement is plagiarism, and may even constitute breach of copyright, depending on how the information is used. If someone was mad enough to compile our trip report and make them into a book (no way - I'M not getting involved in something that scary!) they would clearly have to obtain permission from the original authors, who could justifiably claim some compensation for the use of their work!

On a similar matter, it is a breach of courtesy to forward comments to this forum that were originally intended as PRIVATE messages - unless of course you check with the author. It can also have unpleasant outcomes if the original author is offended by their comments being aired publicly. this has happened quite a few times on Birding-Aus - please avoid this in future.

On a lighter note, how come nobody has suggested donating all the cannon nets to the winegrowers - that would kill two birds with one ..... no, I'll leave it right there ....

Russell Woodford

PS Flame me PRIVATELY

 about that last comment!

--
Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Manager

http://www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/
Ph (BH/AH) (03) 52 739 237
Fax       (03) 52 739 371
Mobile 0419 395 100 Birding-Aus is on the Web at