birding-aus

Item in the Adelaide Avertiser

To: <>
Subject: Item in the Adelaide Avertiser
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:15:22 +1100
Hi Birders,

Laurie Knight drew our attention to the problems of winegrowers shooting birds, mainly Lorikeets and Rosellas, in the Adelaide Hills. A similar problem of wildife destruction has been brought to my attention in the NSW Hunter Valley where new wineries have been established in areas of and or adjacent to woodland and natural forest, and nets are used to protect the grapes. I understand that many birds like Noisy Friarbirds, Eastern Rosellas, Cuckoo-shrikes, Whipbirds, Grey Shrike-thrushes, and other birds that might forage in vineyards close to forest are being caught in the nets and die. If anyone has more information on this I would be interested to hear about and if any representations have been made to authorities on this matter, and what were the outcomes.

Wearing another hat, I am the Birds Australia representative on the NSW Game Bird Review Committee. I am still finding my way though the issues at present having just taken over from the previous representative. It is my concern that in order to protect rice crops in NSW, licensed shooters are allowed to shoot ducks and swans in a magnitude along similar lines as is claimed in the press release for the numbers of rosellas and lorikeets shot in South Australia. The issues are complex and some farmers sufferer considerable personal hardhsip because of bird damage, and I can appreciate their concerns. However Governments and communities should be aware of bird conservationists' concerns and should be working towards acceptable resolutions to the problems. I would be interested in hearing from people who have any views on these issues. Please contact me direct.

At the next meeting of the Bird Interest Group of NSW (BIGnet) 24-25 March 2001 at Newcastle, I intend to report back to the meeting about these two NSW examples of possibly unnecessary wildife destruction.

Alan Morris