birding-aus

A day at Hattah -Kulkyne NP

Subject: A day at Hattah -Kulkyne NP
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 00:09:34 +1100
The second half of my NW Victorian jaunt (12th March) was spent at Hattah. What a place! I have to go back. To be honest, I have to go back to see all the birds I missed!!! It was a fairly frustrating day in one sense - I kept looking in the 'right' places and spent the time often needed to see things like emu-wrens and grassbirds - but without picking up any of the mallee specialties. However, I saw some great birds, including one new species - Splendid Wren - which I kept seeing all day long, which is a rather nice experience.

It was dry just about everywhere. Lake Mournpall was fairly dry, but with several stretches of open water. Lake Lockie and Lake Hattah were each single bodies of water, but the shoreline of each was about 10 - 15 m lower than the obvious high water mark.

The day was mild - mid 20s - with increasing cloud cover, and a stiff breeze from mid-morning, strengthening throughout the day. I was in the park from 6:45 am (it wasn't light until after 7) until about 4pm.

Thanks to Tony Russell for detailed info, and also to Chris Coleborn, Peter Menkhorst, Laurie Living, Barry McLean and others for older messages (from the archive - GREAT new search facility!).

Bird List:

Emu
Grey Teal
Pink-eared Duck