birding-aus

RFI: Black&Orange Hooded Pitohui

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI: Black&Orange Hooded Pitohui
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:17:16 +1000

In the West Australian newspaper quiz, it asked what was unique about the
Black&Orange Hooded Pitohui?  The answer was that it is the only poisonous
bird.

Why is it poisonous?  Is it the only poisonous bird?
Hi Frank,
The answer to your question is no, there are a few other poisonous birds in New Guinea. Jack Dumbacher was netting Hooded Pitohuis and after handling them and rubbing  his hands across his mouth, he felt his lips and tongue go numb!
He has done a lot of work since then and reports that other species of pitohui are also poisonous. I can confirm that the Variable Pitohui is in this category, I was once given a juvenile and licked the feathers as an experiment, getting a distinct numbing of the lips as a consequence!
I don't think anyone has yet worked out what is the source of the toxin, I'd be interested to hear. Local people regard them as rubbish birds, not good to eat, a pity the Australian Bustard doesn't come into the same category!
I have also been told that the Blue-capped Ifrita of the NG highlands  is another poisonous bird, but I have not as yet found a published reference to this, if anyone knows of it please advise.
Hope this helps.
Regards Phil Gregory, Cassowary House, Kuranda.
web site www. cassowary-house.com.au