birding-aus

fork-tailed swifts and needletails

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: fork-tailed swifts and needletails
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 06:39:44 -0800
Attn: Mike Tarburton;
I sent this email direct but it was returned unable to find the email address:

I wonder what really happened (rhetorical question).

Hello Mike,

White-throated Needletails, 2 only, 8:15 am, 6/3/2001.
Woody Point, SE Queensland.

These two birds simply flew in a straight line from NE to SW.

However.......
Fork-tailed Swift, 100+, 8:00 am, 9/3/2001.
Over my house at Woody Point, SE Queensland.
Circumstances were such that I was only able to observe this flock for a few
minutes.
There appeared to be a large number so it possibly was far more than 100.
There didn't appear to be any Needletails in the flock.

About an hour later, at Bald Hills, a suburb of Brisbane and approx 10 km sw of
my place, I observed
probably the same flock of Fork-tailed Swifts for a few minutes and this time I
felt there was some Needletails as well.
All of the birds were flying very high.

The day started out fine with some middle and high level cloud on the eastern
horizon.
The temperature was well above 30 deg C by mid morning and a severe thunderstorm
hit the area about mid-day.
Storms continued through into the night.

This sighting of Fork-tailed Swift at Woody Point is my first since the week
commencing 12/4/1998.
( In those days I simply kept a weekly record; now I make more detailed notes of
certain species.)

Cheers,
Bob Inglis
Woody Point, SE Qld, Australia.